Thursday, April 18, 2013

Hipster Spinster

Today's blog is purposed for the modern day spinster, or, rather, spinhipster. Often--almost always--I have been accused of being said hipster. I pause and am baffled by the labels under which i fall; seemingly i fall under two different extremities, spinster (which I have provided many descriptions in my previous blogs, but if you forgot, click here), and, as of late, hipster, which is a subculture of men and women who are not only hip, but are appreciative of art, culture, witty banter, and all the finer artsy fartsy aspects of life. For a more detailed explanation click here. So what do you do when faced with such slander? You embrace it. 
Hello, my name is Jessica and I am a hipster.

When embracing both of these said concepts (hipster and spinster) a sort of merging occurs. There are some canny parallels--not in lifestyle per se, but in appearance and attitude. Perhaps a new culture has emerged, or perhaps hipster (emphasis on female hipsters of the world) are the new spinsters. So here are some tips on:


A check list is needed in order to fulfill this new emerging trend. If you look carefully at the photo of me giving a hesitant wave, you'll notice the sweet heirloom around my neck. That came from my great-grandmother, who (although widowed at a young age) carried on in a manner of spinsterhood--self dependency. The necklace captures a sense of that crazy, gaudy lady that lives bitterly within all of us young bitties. It also meets the trend that hipsters oh so desperately try to achieve: vintage. So, 
heirloom. 
If you want to be up with the fashion sense of said hipster, your pants need to be over sized and ladies, shirts tucked in. What more screams old lady whiskers? Yet it is the new latest fashion. Looking at my picture, it seems that i can cross out
over sized pants with shirt tucked in. 
You can't forget the tights--but they must be patterned or colored,
colored tights. 
One last thing. You can't forget your ginormous 
infinity scarf. 
The hipster wreaks artsy fartsy in that self photo, and some of those elements weave into the web of spinsterhood, the only thing lacking is a good glass of wine, and a down trodden face like that of my lady-in-black placed above. 

When googling this new idea of spinhipster, I was disappointed to find that no one else seemed to have made the connection. But i did find this really neat website called Hipster Spinster, which is filled with art and designs that satisfy all of your hip and vintage needs--it's where "vintage charm meets contemporary cool." 

I am not sure this young bitty quite qualifies as "vintage charm meets contemporary cool" but the recognition of a style I associate with "spinster" in a new trending style that is prevalent today was humorous and in a way, endearing. So the next time you see me hobbling down the street, and you feel the urge to call me hipster or spinster, why not just trying to mash the two together?

PS I know you all were expecting a cat photo. So I won't disappoint: 
cat's in the bag--or toilet paper roll. 


4 comments:

  1. I found this article both Intriguing and insightful. However, I am a little perplexed by the spinster hipster amalgamation, because I always viewed those two categories as mutually exclusive. I feel as though being a hipster connotes the youth of the participant in the culture, and spinster, to me, has an old age connotation. Anyway, I now have a greater understanding of the term/s and their connotations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an informative entry regarding this hybridized trend of alternative lifestyles. All the regalia is somewhat appealing to my fashion deficient sense and interest, maybe it's because I'm somewhat into vintage myself. I love how you exemplified yourself through your picture which provided a visual contrast to the strictly spinstress, so I think you should have included a strictly hipster picture instead of a cat to get a full visual understanding of you're unique merge of subcultures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your merging of hipster and spinster in this post. I've often been pegged as a "hipster" too and I've always been a little confused as to what people mean when they call someone a hipster. I'm glad you provided some clarification for me in regards to that. I also like that you include the type of fashion that it entails. And of course, the cat picture! There is a clothing boutique The Laundry Room (http://www.tlroom.com/brand/) on Palm in Fresno that has a whole line of cat clothing. They have a huge load of shirts that I think are right up your alley! Check it out. And great blog!

    ReplyDelete